Astral projection refers to an out-of-body-experience (OBE) during which the astral body leaves the physical body and travels to the astral plane. People often experience this state during illness or when involved in a near death experience, but it is also possible to practice astral projection at will. This article contains instructions on how to get started.
Part 1 of 3: Preparing for astral projection
1. Start in the morning. Rather than practicing astral projection at night, right before you go to sleep, start in the early morning hours when you’re still drowsy. Some say that it’s easier to reach the necessary state of relaxation and heightened awareness around dawn.
2. Create the right atmosphere. Astral projection requires a state of deep relaxation, so it should be performed in a part of your home where you’re completely comfortable. Lie on your bed or sofa and relax your mind and body.
- It’s easier to perform astral projection alone than it is with someone else in the room. If you usually sleep with a partner, choose a room other than the bedroom to practice astral projection.
- Draw the shades or curtains and rid the room of distracting noises. Any type of interruption could disrupt the state of relaxation you need to achieve.
- Flex your muscles and then loosen them. Start with your toes and work your way up your body, gradually making your way to your head. Make sure every muscle is completely relaxed when you are through.
- Breathe deeply and exhale completely. Don’t hold tension in your chest and shoulders, just relax.
- Focus your mind on your breathing. Don’t get carried away with thoughts of outside worries, and don’t get preoccupied yet with the idea of your soul projecting from your body. Just let yourself sink into relaxation.
Part 2 of 3: Moving the soul from the body
- Keeping your eyes closed, let your mind wander to a part of your body, such as your hand, foot or a single toe.
- Focus on the body part until you can visualize it perfectly, even with your eyes closed. Continue focusing until all other thoughts fall away.
- Broaden your focus to the rest of your body. Move your legs, your arms, and your head using only your mind. Keep your focus steady until you’re able to move your whole body in your mind alone.
- Your OBE is successful if you feel as though you are gazing upon your body from across the room, and that your conscious self is now separate from your body.
- It takes a lot of practice to get to this point. If you have trouble completely lifting your soul from your body, try lifting just a hand or a leg at first. Keep practicing until you’re able to move across the room.
Part 3 of 3: Exploring the astral plane
- Next time you practice astral projection, don’t turn around to look at your body. Instead, leave the room and walk into another room in the house.
- Examine an object in the other room, something that you had never noticed before in the physical sense. Make a mental note of its color, shape and size, paying attention to as many details as possible.
- Return to your body. Physically go into the room you previously projected yourself into. Walk to the article you examined during the astral travel. Can you confirm the details you noted when you explored the object with your mind?
- The silver cord can never be broken, but it is said that your soul can be delayed from reentering your body if you spend too much energy outside of it.
- Some say that demons can inhabit the body while the soul is being projected. If you fear this may happen, protect your body by blessing the room with a prayer before you perform projection.
- Your soul can also interact with other astral projections. Try it with a friend who has practiced as much as you have. Some say astral sex is mind blowing. However, remember to always return to your body.
- It’s best not to be mentally or physically tired when attempting astral projection, as you will find it hard to concentrate. Drowsy morning feelings work better than being tired after a long day.
- Try not to be scared on your first time, or it will seem to become harder to go back to your body.
- Feel free to walk anywhere you would like. But do not go too far your first few times. If you are new to an astral plane, walk/fly to closer locations first.
- Beliefs play the largest part in Astral Projection. If you believe that you are going to be possessed, you may feel like you are possessed. If you feel like your “silver-cord” is “weak” and that you can’t return, you will feel stuck. Feelings and thoughts are instantly manifested in the Astral Plane, anything you think/fear can seem to happen. Keep your thoughts positive. Don’t try to Astral Project after watching a scary movie.
- If you feel it’s hard to get back to your body, just imagine yourself striking with your body at the speed of light. You can come back from any place with in one second. Remember your soul is free of distance and time.
- When releasing your soul from your body, it can also help to imagine yourself all one dull color. Now imagine your colorful soul escaping from your body slowly.
- Visualize a white or yellowish light surrounding you while you Astral Project to protect yourself from bad entities who may suck your energy if you let them. Also, you can try to raise your vibrations.
- You cannot be hurt mentally/physically by something in the Astral Plane while having an OBE.